The Blue and White

The Student News Site of Abington Friends School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

What Does Ramadan Mean for Me?

A month of prayer, community, and fasting.
Lena White ’25

Since I was younger, when I heard the word Ramadan, a small part of me jumped a little from excitement. The smell of home cooked meals on an empty stomach always made me feel warm while imagining the feelings of iftar. 

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic Lunar calendar and is a month of prayer, reflection, community, and fasting. 

This time is so special to us because it was when our holy book, the Quran, was revealed to our prophet. To us Muslims, this is one of the most important times of the year encouraging us to fully immerse ourselves into the Islamic culture. 

We try our best to sacrifice all bad habits and work towards bettering ourselves as a whole both spiritually and mentally. 

Fasting is when a person does not eat or drink water until permissible. Muslims begin their fast at sunrise with a meal called suhoor, eating and fueling them for the day, and when the sun sets Muslims break their fast with a big feast called iftar. 

While fasting we refrain from things like cursing, lying, and judging others but we increase the amount of patience and grace that we grant to people. 

It is also very impartial that we give sadaqah which is providing for the less fortunate and people that need it.

Ramadan means different things to each Muslim. For example, I work on being kinder and sitting in silence more allowing myself to meditate and calm down in times of ease, frustration, or happiness.

Not eating during Ramadan helps me empathize with what it feels like to go through a state of forced and consistent hunger, and although I have the opportunity to eat at the end of the day, it is always very humbling knowing that some people do not.

Every Muslim can participate in the holy month, but some people are not obliged to fast. Anyone who is struggling with severe health problems both mentally and physically should not partake. Pregnant mothers, breastfeeding women, children, and people traveling do not have to, but if they feel inclined then they can.

This unique month is followed by one of the two major Islamic holidays called Eid Al-Fitr. Eid is celebrated by Muslims wearing their best, most formal clothing and all gathering together to participate in a morning prayer. It is customary to give gifts rewarding and showing appreciation for the hard work done during the month. 

As tradition, my family and I go out to a formal breakfast and travel around the city visiting different mosques and engaging with the community and planning activities. 

View Comments (3)