The Blue and White

The Student News Site of Abington Friends School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Embrace Connection Over Consumerism

Here’s why
Nevaeh Brown ’25

It’s too easy to fall into the rhythm of mindless spending and consumerism: this seemingly ending loop of buying and realizing we didn’t need that new water bottle or those brand-new pairs of shoes needs to end. 

This cycle of buying and seeking more has made us feel empty, an endless void we attempt to fill with material. What if the way to a fulfilling life lies in the people and the potential connections around us? 

According to a study from the Cigna Group, 58% of U.S. adults ​​feel lonely. Many feel lonely in a room full of people, but realizing everyone in that room feels the same is the first step to filling the seemingly endless void of loneliness. 

Emotional spending is detrimental

Our capitalistic society has ingrained the belief that the status of material proves your worth. It’s not uncommon to turn material possessions into a mechanism to fill a void. Many Americans have admitted they spent money to improve their mood and prove their worthiness to society. 

According to a LendingTree survey, women are more likely to engage in such behavior compared to men, 57% to 40%. There are consequences to mindlessly overspending to compensate for emotional strain. The average single woman spends nearly 110% of her monthly after-tax income, while men spend 95.8%, according to data from Capital One Shopping. 

The Power of Prioritizing Community 

Overspending seems like an option to compensate for feelings of loneliness and emptiness, but what about finding connections with those around you? The bonds we form with others provide us with support, understanding, and a sense of belonging that transcends material wealth. 

In times of need, it’s the comfort of a friend’s embrace or the wisdom of a loved one’s counsel that sustains us, not the latest gadget or luxury item. Moreover, fostering meaningful connections cultivates empathy, compassion, and a shared sense of humanity, filling the empty void of loneliness. 

In essence, the true wealth lies in the quality of our relationships, for it is through them that we find fulfillment and purpose in life. It begins with simple things. Smiling at a neighbor or a stranger you pass on the street.  Giving compliments to anyone can not only make them feel good, but it can make you feel good as well. 

These small acts of kindness aren’t just effective for reducing stress and improving emotional well-being; they can also make us braver and bolder in connecting with people. 

Ways to Forge Connections 

Engaging in shared activities or hobbies can also foster connections, providing common ground for bonding and collaboration. Additionally, showing vulnerability and authenticity allows for deeper connections, as it cultivates trust and intimacy. 

Acts of kindness and generosity further strengthen connections, fostering a sense of reciprocity and mutual support. Furthermore, seeking out opportunities for meaningful conversations and shared experiences, whether through volunteering, joining clubs or community events, or simply reaching out to acquaintances, can help build and sustain valuable connections with others. 

Ultimately, forging connections requires openness, sincerity, and a willingness to invest time and effort into nurturing relationships.

View Comments (9)