The Blue and White

The Student News Site of Abington Friends School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Marvel Club’s Service Project

Service isn’t just for people with superpowers
Marvel Clubs Service Project
Bella Di’Toro ’27

On Wednesday, March 6, a handful of students showed up to the Physics lab, their sleeves rolled up, and ready to work. Usually, students would enjoy spending their lunch time eating and talking with their friends; instead, nine students (and advisor Jordan Burkey!) chose to spend the hour folding cardboard boxes and baby swaddles. 

Recently, the clerks of Marvel+ Club (Sage Levy ‘24 and Priyal Sanathara ‘25) had been in touch with Kelly Gallagher, a Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction for the Upper Moreland SD, the founder of The Superhero Project. 

The Superhero Project is a locally based nonprofit organization supporting mothers and families with babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Over the last few years, The Superhero Project has raised thousands of dollars for high-tech cameras and equipment in NICUs in local hospitals. 

When Marvel+ Club found the organization, they knew it would be perfect for them because it’s a way of giving back, while being on theme! After collecting the materials, the call was sent out, and the students came together to package and make care packages for mothers whose babies had just graduated from the NICU—a huge deal.

Nelson Cordón ‘25, Jada Melville ‘25, Una Davis ‘26, Sophia Schwartz ‘26, Will Paladino ‘27, Sylvie Harris ‘27, Eli Harris ‘27 and Cavan Merrigan ‘27 were real-life superheroes on Wednesday, helping out tirelessly and laughing all the way through! 

Marvel+ Club was able to package 27 boxes and will be packaging more soon! 

For more information about The Superhero Project Inc., visit them at their website: https://superheroprojectinc.org