The Blue and White

The Student News Site of Abington Friends School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Lunar New Year Potluck

Lunar New Year Potluck
Alana Son ’26

Lunar New Year has always been buried in the grounds. Hidden, silenced, and forgotten. Still, it is one of the largest holidays, celebrated by 1.5 billion people worldwide. 

2024 is the year of the Dragon, which symbolizes luck, strength, and good fortune. East and Southeast Asians follow the lunisolar calendar to welcome the arrival of spring and the beginning of the new year. Families celebrate the New Year in many ways like giving out red envelopes, deep cleaning to drive away any negative energy, and holding  big feasts. 

On February 8, the Asian Coalition hosted a potluck to bring the Lunar New Year to AFS. We wished to spread the culture and diversity of the New Year that wasn’t recognized. Students had plates full of food such as lo mein, spring rolls, mochi, and bao. Positive energy filled the room while students got to share and connect over the big meal. 

Being able to share the importance of our big holiday with so many people was truly a heartwarming experience as the beauty of celebrating Lunar New Year finally got the recognition it truly deserves.

View Comments (7)