The Blue and White

The Student News Site of Abington Friends School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Out of the Box Thinking in Math Club

Out of the Box Thinking in Math Club

On Friday, December 1, eight AFS Math Club members participated in the Philly Math League Championship at George School. 

Thus far, Math Club members have participated in eight Philly Math League competitions that culminated in the day-long Championship competition. 

AFS finished the championship with wins against Haverford, Penn Charter, and Agnes Irwin. Unfortunately, AFS fell to Shipley (3-5) and Springside Chestnut Hill (9-12). 

The competition problems are different from what you would typically see in math class at AFS and you do not need to be in an advanced math class to answer these types of problems. 

Working in individual and team rounds, members solve complex problems, encouraging collaboration and out-of-the-box thinking. It is undoubtedly challenging, but also exciting and rewarding. 

Speaking about their experience at the championship, Wei Xin ‘24 said “I enjoyed seeing where people ended up who used to attend the competition. I liked meeting new people and gaining perspective about the math world. The competition combines different levels of math so that everyone can participate.” 

Beyond winning or losing, the competition is a great learning experience. 

In the future, Math Club will continue to prepare for upcoming contests including the 14-hour math modeling competition and the Temple Owlympiad. Currently members practice sample problems at weekly meetings to prepare. There are a lot of exciting things coming up for Math Club!