The Blue and White

The Student News Site of Abington Friends School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Advice of the Day: To Speak or Not to Speak?

Talking to students outside of school
Nimo Ren ’25

Hello reader, and welcome to the RebelRoo advice column, where we will give insight to the Upper School community about whatever is on your mind! 

Today’s column is answering a query from someone who claims not to be a teacher. They write:

“When teachers see students with their families at the grocery store, do students want them to say hi, or is that just embarrassing?”

Thanks for sending this in! If I were to advise a teacher, I would say that it all depends on the student and your relationship with them.

For example, if you have a really good relationship in school, then they might be delighted to say hello in passing outside of school. But, if you see a student you know but you two are not the closest, it might be best just to let it pass. 

Another factor to take into consideration is their mood. Do they seem calm, or are they concerned about other things? 

If this student is in your class, you might want to consider their grades. It would be intimidating to have a teacher come up to you in public if you are failing their class, especially if you are with your parents!

If all else fails and the student ends up having an embarrassing interaction in public, just remember that it is not the end of the world. Both of you will probably only think about it for a couple of days at most. 

I hope that this helps out any teachers who are feeling anxious about greeting their students outside of the classroom and remember to send in more questions. Have a wonderful day, reader!